DELICIOUS CHOCOLATE BOURBON CAKE WITH WHISKEY CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM
This Bourbon-spiked Chocolate cake is my favourite cake recipe ever. It’s heaven on a plate! Chocolate and Bourbon are the perfect pairing, like Beyonce and Jay-Z. They go together cotton candy and amusement parks, beer and the Super Bowl…vodka and rappers. If you don’t love this recipe for chocolate bliss, you need to get your taste buds tested!
The quantities are based on creating a one-layer cake in a 9-inch pan. If you want to do a double cake as pictured below, then double the quantities to fit two pans. You can use the same recipe to make 12 cupcakes. Simply cook them for less time 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cupcakes comes out clean.
CHOCOLATE BOURBON CAKE
1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1⁄2 cup boiling water
11⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1⁄2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
11⁄2 cups sugar
2 eggs, room temperature 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
1⁄2 cup bourbon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9-inch round cake pan with softened butter.
2. In a small bowl, mix cocoa with boiling water until dissolved. Set aside to cool.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and set aside.
4. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar with a mixer until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla and mix again.
5. Reduce mixer speed to low. Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture in three parts, alternating with the buttermilk and bourbon, and mix until all is combined.
6. Add the cooled cocoa mixture and mix until smooth.
7. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake pan and bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. It’s a good idea to turn the cake about halfway through so it cooks evenly. Let cool completely before frosting.
WHISKEY CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM Ingredients
1⁄2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons whiskey 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1. In a medium bowl, beat butter and cocoa with a mixer until light and fluffy. Add the whiskey and beat again. Add sugar, one cup at a time, beating after each addition.
2. Use the back of a spoon or palette knife to spread the icing evenly over the top of the cooled cake. You can also pipe decorations like I have on top of cake using a pastry bag and tip or plastic bag with the corner snipped off.